UPDATE: JULY 15, 2022
Our Lady of Namulenga
Catholic High School Project
Archdiocese of Blantyre
Malawi, Central Africa
Currently there are 17,000 young people in the Archdiocese of Blantyre, Malawi, who are without the opportunity of high school education because of lack of facility. Recognizing the ability to respond to their need, an all-volunteer committee from the Diocese of Joliet, came together to sponsor a new high school.
- The commitment is for a 400 girl and 400 boy school (800 students) in the community of Namulenga. Because of the rough nature of the roads; the school will be residential for students and staff. It will be operated through local support of the government and Archdiocese. There is a commitment to excellence in every aspect of education.
- Because of the greater need in the rural areas, it is being located in such an environment. The ‘shovel ready” land is being donated by the Diocese of Blantyre.
- The planning and construction of the campus will be in phases. The opening year will provide opportunity for freshman and sophomores with the succeeding year for juniors and then seniors.
- The architect for the Diocese of Joliet and professional representatives from Ryan Companies will be responsible for the development of plans and their execution. The process will be a “partnership” between these representatives and contractors in Malawi. Special attention will be devoted to strict adherence to present costs of construction in Malawi.
- The Joliet architect and the Ryan representative will be traveling to Blantyre in the next few weeks to initiate the construction process. the ground breaking ceremony is scheduled to take place on August 15, 2022, the Feast of the Assumption of Our Lady. The school’s name will be: “Our Lady of Namulenga Catholic High School.” Naming rights for different components of the campus by donors are most welcome.
- The Costs: After detailed planning, the school is estimated to cost: 3.5 million dollars. In hand are 2 ½ million dollars. In addition, St. Thomas Academy Alumni, Mendota Heights, Minnesota, is committed to a total $500,000 matching gift campaign. It is anticipated that St. Thomas Academy and Our Lady of Namulenga will establish a brother/sister relationship.
- Another $500,000 “asks” are in progress. Further information is available on the project’s website: www.ttemalawi.org